Motor vehicle accidents (MVA)

What is covered?

Your auto insurance covers you for a minimum of 10 chiropractic treatments for minor injuries under the Alberta diagnostic treatment protocols regulation.

Chiropractic treatment for minor injuries is billed directly to your insurance company. You do not have to submit receipts for reimbursement. Make sure you tell your chiropractor that you were injured in a car accident so they will fill out the forms to have your treatment costs covered.

Through a different automobile insurance program, every Albertan is entitled to $1,000 of chiropractic care coverage for motor vehicle accident injuries (under Section B).

Please direct all questions to the main office through our Contact page.

How do I receive treatment?

Within 10 days of the collision:

    1. File an injury accident report with the police.

    2. Seek treatment from a primary health care provider (PHCP): chiropractor, physical therapist or physician. If your injury is considered minor (i.e. sprain, strain or minor whiplash injury), you do not need authorization from your insurer. You may begin treatment immediately and your insurance company will be billed directly.

    3. File the appropriate forms with your insurer. Forms are available from your chiropractor, insurer or insurance broker.

    4. If you have any questions, please contact your auto insurance company and ask about your MVA health care coverage under Section B.

Pamphlets for your glovebox

After a motor vehicle collision, there are many important things to do--but most important of all is ensuring you receive the care you need. The handout and brochure below will walk you through the steps of receiving care after a motor vehicle accident. Print them and keep them in your glovebox for reference.