Rules to attend a hearing
1. Once a hearing has started, observers are not allowed entry until a recess is called.
2. Observers must register at reception upon arrival and must wear the name tag provided that identifies their observer status. Observers are permitted access to public areas and limited access to the hearing room.
3.Observers must not use cameras or recording devices in the hearing room. This includes pen and paper.
4. ALL communication devices including cell phones and portable computers must be turned off and remain off while inside the hearing room.
5. No external food or drink is allowed in the hearing room.
6. Observers are not permitted to address the members of the hearing tribunal (in or out of session) and must remain quiet during the proceedings.
7. Observers must leave the hearing room for the duration of every recess, for any portion of a hearing held in private, and when the tribunal deliberates. During these times, observers are restricted to public areas of the building.
8. If an observer needs to leave the hearing room for any reason while the hearing is in session, he/she will not be permitted to return to the room until the end of the next recess.
9. Lunch is provided to the hearing tribunal and the parties involved. Observers must leave the ACAC office during the lunch break and during extended recesses.
10. During brief recesses, observers may sit quietly in a designated area, space permitting, but may not discuss the hearing or disrupt the daily work of ACAC staff.
11. When an observer leaves the hearing with no intention of returning, he/she must sign out at reception and return the observer name tag to ACAC.