Help us raise 30,000 new sock donations!
Every September, chiropractors across the province come together to support the community and answer the call put out by charitable nonprofits – the call for socks.
While this call may sound a little laughable, these garments play an important role in keeping people’s feet warm and protected against the long, cold Albertan winters. Unfortunately, charitable organizations continue to report them as one of the least donated items. From September 1 to September 30, clinics raise and accept donations of new socks, which are then distributed across the province by our nonprofit partners.
Last year, over 40 chiropractic clinics came together for the Toasty Toes Sock Drive and raised a whopping 25,000 pairs of new socks. This year, we’re hoping to beat that record and increase the impact we have on our vulnerable community members.
The Toasty Toes Sock Drive wouldn’t be possible without the hard work and effort of participating chiropractors and clinics. Please email Mikiko Van Horn, Public Relations Coordinator, to let us know that you are participating and your clinic will be listed below.
Our nonprofit partners
After the sock drive has ended, we work with our nonprofit partners to ensure that the sock donations are distributed to the people who need them the most. We are proud to partner with:
Promote your efforts!
In order to help you and other members spread the word and generate interest in Toasty Toes, the ACAC developed an online toolkit with posters, social media copy and graphics that you can download and decorate your clinic with or post onto social media.
Can't collect socks but still want to show your support?
Participating in Toasty Toes is easy, even if your clinic can’t actively collect socks. All of the following activities help to spread the word and generate interest and excitement about the event:
- Hang Toasty Toes posters in your clinic. Let your patients know about the sock drive by hanging a poster in your waiting room or treatment room(s). Posters will soon be available to download here on the ACAC website.
- Get social! Tweet about Toasty Toes with the hashtag #ToastyToes, share photos of your progress on Facebook and cheer on other participating clinics. You could even put up a Facebook event for the duration of the drive and boost it to gain a little more attention. If you want to start a little smaller, feel free to follow the ACAC Twitter and Facebook accounts and share the content we post.
- Spark conversation about the event. The sky’s the limit: commit to wearing oddly patterned or eye-catching socks throughout the month; decorate your donation box so it stands out; deck out your clinic with sock-themed banners.
- Set a sock goal. The first step to reaching a goal is setting one! For an extra layer of fun, challenge another chiropractic clinic to a friendly sock-collecting competition.
- Make an event of it at your clinic. Involve your patients and community by incorporating the sock drive into a community event, or hold a draw where each pair of donated socks equals a single entry to win a prize. You could even offer a small discount to patients who bring in sock donations.