This directive provides mandatory guidance to ACAC regulated members on communications regarding coronavirus (COVID-19).
The ACAC recognizes and appreciates that the majority of Alberta chiropractors have been responsible in their communications regarding COVID-19, commonly referred to as coronavirus.
The following direction is provided for clarity to ensure chiropractic communication remains consistent with ACAC Standards of Practice, Advertising Directive and Code of Ethics.
Unacceptable communication to provide to the public:
- Any communication regarding immunity and/or anecdotal remedies for the treatment of COVID-19.
- Any communication that includes or promotes chiropractic care as a treatment for COVID-19 or any other infections.
- Any communication implying that chiropractic treatments (including adjustments, nutritional recommendations, acupuncture or any other modalities) aid in the prevention of and/or treat COVID-19.
Any regulated member found to contravene the College’s directive concerning COVID-19 communications will be referred to the Complaints Director for investigation and may be subject to discipline including a hearing and the ordering of fines and sanctions. Members with third-party content providers who post information that contravenes this directive concerning COVID-19 will be accountable for the content as if they had posted the offending content themselves.
Acceptable messages to provide to the public:
- Reasons why patients may be excluded from receiving care at your clinic as outlined below by Alberta Health Services:
- The patient answers ‘YES’ to any of the screening questions for COVID-19 from the Alberta Health Services self-assessment.
- The patient was directed by Alberta Health Services to self-isolate.
- The waiving of no-show or cancellation fees for patients who are ill, regardless of whether the illness is related to COVID-19.
- Proper hand washing techniques, as instructed by Alberta Health Services or other recognized public health agencies.
- Notifications from the following sources concerning COVID-19:
- Alberta Health Services
- Public Health Agency of Canada
- World Health Organization
Any questions regarding this directive should be referred to the Registrar, Todd Halowski.